Welcome to my blog, where a 30-something couple from the UK renovate and extend an old cottage, build some outbuildings, raise some hens and grow firewood trees and vegetables on our Acre in Hampshire. It's a bit like a smallholding but without too many animals, so we call it a homestead - living within our means, relying on ourselves and having a wonderful life!


.

Thursday 14 August 2014

A new look (B)log!

Do you like what I've done there? With the title? New log store, and a new style for the Blog!

Which first? Logs? Righto...

We have been caught out in the last year as regards log stores - we have FAR more logs than we can store under cover. Last winter I quickly chucked together some lean-to affairs next to the water trough - admittedly rather large for its only drinker (Monty) but perfect for when Kiwi comes to visit and decides to swim in it (yes really...) These stores were intended as a temporary solution, using some timber that I had salvaged from my parent's old pergola and a bit of Wriggly Tin for a roof. They looked pretty ropey but they served a purpose...

SWMBO (she who must be obeyed...) decided they looked a bit too functional, so something had to be done. I had a load of roofing slates to use up - I'd bought a huge batch when I re-roofed the workshop - and bought an extra pack of weather board when I'd stocked up for making the hen house. Here is the end result - much better, I'm sure you'll agree! 

There is a slight bend across the length of the roof as I used some reclaimed battens which were a bit undersize - next time, I'll add another rafter in the centre of the store.

The next bit of news is the new look for the Blog - do you like it? Anything you'd like to change? I'm also trying to integrate Facebook into the blog - have a look at My Facebook Page or click on the link on the right. There's not much to see yet, but that will only change over time.

Lastly, I braved the season's first Blackberry this afternoon!

























There's not much more disappointing than a tarte Blackberry - so it's always a delicate balancing act between delaying the consumption to avoid bitter fruits and actually eating the things! I'm very pleased that I nailed it this year... We deliberately let our hedges grow this year - we have the prospect of blackberry jam from fruit grown on our own land to look forward to - another first!


9 comments:

  1. I loved your first log store then I saw your second log store.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will show hubby your log store so he know what I want :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant seem to find a blog follow button on your blog, pretty please can we have one so I can follow your progress :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn - I'm quite new to Blogging so excuse any basic errors! There is a box on the right hand side where you can enter your email address - this SHOULD send you an email when a new post is published...

      Delete
  4. I dont often check my e-mail sorry, if you go into your layout you can choose a gaget that will let people follow :-) you can then add it to the side bar along with facebook twitter then when I click on it to follow it shows up on my blog that I am following you and I can see you latest post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn - hopefully that is sorted now? Let me know if not and I'll have another go...

      Delete
  5. You have added an RSS feed, add the google followers button then others can follow you and you can see who is following your blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want your logstore!! Please can SWMBO send you over to our house please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really easy - some scrap wood, a few slates and some feather edge!

      Delete